Granville NC map
These maps will take some time to load be patient.
Another view of the map
Description of the map giving relationships
The Glover family and others moved along the same path. Benjamin Hawkins went to North Carolina and Glover families are found living next to them. Benjamin Hawkins went to Georgia and the Glover family is found living near by.
Perhaps this will help to track the Glover family.
Explanation of this map I feel is necessary. The map and information at the bottom is was compiled by Worth S. Ray and drawn by P. B. Search 1943.
Map showing locations of THE HOME SITES OF COLONIAL FAMILIES IN GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA.
NUTBUSH DISTRICT (included in circle)
famous for its ancient planters and early colonial homes spread out along Nut Bush Creek. In 1756 REV. HUCH MCADEN visited some of these homes, 179 JOSEPH LINDSAY and others. In his journal he says: " I found them a cheerful people without the regular preaching of the Gospel and in a situation that might be expected, with an abundance of wealth and full leisure for its enjoyment." The planters of this section raised fine blooded stock and maintained a race course.
EDWARD JONES, 132, at whose home the original Granville county was organized Sept. 3 1746, those present besides the host being 149 WILLIAM EATON, 143 JOHN MARTIN, 136 JAMES PAYNE, 55 JOHN WALKER and 152 GIDEON MACON.
WILLIAM EATON, SR. a lineal descendant of 149 WILLIAM EATON, whose old home is in the outskirts of Warrenton, and whose daughter ELLEN EATON became tghe wife in his old age of HANDBOROUGH P. BELL, a former Governor of Texas, who died there, though his remains were later carried back to Texas for burial.
PLEASANT HILL, erected by PHILMON HAWKINS, JR. son of 93, whose son WILLIAM HAWKINS became governor of the State of North Carolina. COL. BENJAMIN HAWKINS, the famous maker of Indian Treaties was a son of the first 93 PHILAMON HAWKINS, and also the ancestor of HON.JOSEPH H. HAWKINS , of Kentucky and New Orleans who financed the colonization of Texas through his protege, STEPHEN FULLER AUSTIN.
MEMUCAN HUNT, 65 father of 98 WILLIAM HUNT,whose distinguished son, MEMUCAN HUNT, migrated to Texas and settled at GALVESTON and became Minister of the REPUBLIC of TEXAS to the United States. His wife a Miss HOWARD, descendant of 17 WILLIAM HOWARD, and he was a cousin of Dr. PLEASEANT W. KITTRELL, a descendant of 120 JONATHAN KETTRELL. DR. PLEASANT W. KITTRELL was the father of JUDGE NORMAN G. KITTRELL of Texas now deceased.
TAR RIVER BAPTIST CHRUCH 206 (Primative), presided over many years by 206 WILLIAM WASHINGTON, cousin of the PRESIDENT and a dashing cavalry leader during the American Revolution.
(1) AARON PINSON'S wife was DELILAH CUNNINGHAM, a widow and their grand-daughter married a grandson of 69 JOHN SIMS
(5) HENRY GRAVES, JR. was son of 52 HENRY GRAVES, whose wife was MARY WILLIAMS, sister of the wife of 92 SAMUEL HENDERSON.
(6) THOMAS SATTERWHITE married the daughter of 170 GEORGE KEELING and step-daughter of 71 JOHN WILLIAMS, who was a half sister of AGATHA, wife of COL. ROBERT BURTON.
(8) The MORTONS, of Tar River and Goshen were relatives of 12 CHESLEY DANIEL, of "Tranquility". These Daniel were not related to the NUTBUSH DANIEL FAMILY.
(9) THOMS PERSON WAS A CONTEMPOARY OF 47JOHN PENN, THE "SIGNOR" and served in the (NC) CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION IN 1776 with 65 MEMUCAN HUNT and others.
(12) DAVID ROYSTER married a daughter of 96 JAMES DANIEL and a niece of 77 SARAH HARRISON, and their son DAVID ROYSTER married a daughter of 63 ELISHA SIMS. These ROYSTERS intermarried with families of 28 SAMUEL and 29 HARBERT HIGH.
(14) GIDEON GOOCH was a cousin of 152 GIDEON MACON, his grandmother having been a sister of REV. ROWLAND JONES, whose son ORLANDO married MARTHA MACON (sister of GIDEON) and who became grandmother of MARTHA WASHINGTON.
(17) WILLIAM HOWARD, and 162 FRANCES HOWARD were brothers and 18 GROVES HOWARD was a son of Francis.
(18) GROVER HOWARD married CATHERINE GRAVES, daughter of 54 JOHN WILLIAMS GRAVES, whose widow, after his death, married his firsgt cousin 95 JOHN WILLIAMS DANIEL
(20) ERASTUS GILL, son of 23 WILLIAM GILL, was the father-in-law of 202 WORMLEY ROSE RAY, who was drowned in the Neuce river, and who was son of 24 JAMES RAY and his wife RACHEL MARTIN, daughter of 20 WILLIAM MARTIN.
(24) JAMES RAY and his wife RACHEL MARTIN had a daughter ELIZABETH RAY, who became the wife of ALEXANDER MARTIN HIGH. a son of 29 HARBERT HIGH, whose wife was also a MARTIN.
(37) RICHARD SEARCY and all of the other SEARCYS shown on the map were brothers and the sons of JOHN SEARCY and his wife PHOEBE, 90 BARTLETT SEARCY and REUBEN and RICHARD SEARCY emigrated to Kentucky and WILLIAM to Tennessee. the descendants of REUBEN SEARCY settled in TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA and the descendant who drew this map is a direct descendant.
(38) WILLIAM H. SEARCY'S son WILLIAM married a daughter of 101 ISHAM HARRIS and 89 REUBEN SEARCY married SUSAN HENDERSON daughter of 92 SAMUEL HENDERSON of "ASHLAND". ISHAM HARRIS was the grandfatherof GOV. ISHAM G. HARRIS of Tenn., and ISHAM G. SEARCY settled WASHINGTON COUNTY, TEXAS.
(40) HOWELL LEWIS was the ancestor of HON. HOWELL COBB of Ga. through 200 JOHN COBBS who married his daughter MILDRED.
(42) WILLIAM KNIGHT, son of 43 JONATHAN KNIGHT was the father OBEDIAH KNIGHT father of HON EPS G. KNIGHT, Dallas, Tx.
(45) JOHN STOVALL married a daughter of 61 DANIEL MORROW.
(47) JOHN PENN was the son of 169 MOSES PENN and the grandson of 49 JOHN TAYLOR and his wife CATHERINE PENDLETON.
(49) JOHN TAYLOR was father-in-law of 85 COL. WILLIAM BULLOCK
(50) STEPHEN TERRY was son of ZACHARIAH and the grandson of JAMES TERRY, of PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, VIRGINIA.
(51) RALPH GRAVES was nephew of the wife of 174 SAM HENDERSON
(55) JOHN WALKER was brother-in-law of 54 JOHN WILLIAMS GRAVES
(64) DANIEL WILLIAMS wife was the sister of 174 SAM HENDERSON
(68) JOHN BOYD'S DAUGHTER married GOV. WILLIAM HAWKINS OF N.C.
(69) JOHN SIMS and 81 RICHARD BULLOCK married sisters.
(72) HUTCHINS BURTON was the father of 76 COL. ROBERT BURTON. The mother was TABITHA MINGE, great grand-daughter of ROBERT HARRISON, of York county, Va. and COL. ROBERT BURTON was an uncle of GOV. HUTCHINS GORDON BURTON, OF N. C.
(77) SARAH HARRISON was daughter of 88 JOHN DANIEL and the widow of JOHN HARRISON a cousin of TABITHA (MINGE) BURTON.
(78) HOWELL MOSS was son-in-law of 96 JAMES DANIEL and brother-in-law of 13 DAVID ROYSTER
(79) THOMAS LANIER was cousin of 136 WEST HARRIS and the latter was father of 101 ISHAM HARRIS, JOSEPH WILLIAMS, cousin of 71 JOHN WILLIAMS married two daughters of THOMAS LANIER
(85) COL WILLIAM BULLOCK was brother-in-law of 47 JOHN PENN.
(86) WILLIAM GILLIAM married ANNE, sister of 69 JOHN SIMS in Va.
(88) JOHN DANIEL was father of 96 JAMES DANIEL and 95 JOHN WILLIAMS DANIEL. His wife was an aunt of 71 JOHN WILLIAMS. The land on which he lived passed to the TURNERS, ancestors of GOVERNOR TURNER (born there) of North Carolina.
(93) SAMUEL HENDERSON'S wife was a sister of MRS. 88 JOHN DANIEL and 52 HENRY GRAVES. MRS. 89 REUBEN SEARCY was a niece of all of these SUSAN HENDERSON
(104) RICHARD HENDERSON was father of 103 LEONARD HENDERSON and the father of the "State of Transylvania".
(118) JOHN W. PEACE was the father of JOHN PEACE, merchant of Raleigh.
(106) NATHANIEL HENDERSON married widow of 190 CAPT. SUGAR JONES.
(125) PHILLIP PIERCE was father of LOVICK PIERCE and grandfather of BISHOP GEORGE F. PIERCE, of the Methodist Church of Georgia
(123) GREEN HILL was brother of MARY who married DEWARD JONES JR.
(132) ANN CARTER LEE was daughter of GEN. ROBERT E. LEE, of VA.
(134) JETHRO SUMNER'S cousin married ELISHA BATTLE, Rev. Soldier, N. C.
(142) ZADOC DANIEL was the son of 95 JOHN WILLIAMS DANIEL
(152) GIDEON MACON married PRISCILLA, daughter of 132 EDWARD JONES. She married second 186 JAMES RANSOME whose mother was of HICKS FAMILY of TABB'S CREEK.
(154) WILLIAM CHRISTMAS was cousin of 155 CHRISTMAS RAY, 107 JOHN RAINWATER was son-in-law of WILLIAM CHRISTMAS.
(153) NATHANIEL MACON was son of 152 GIDEON MACON and PRISCILLA
(185) JOSEPH SEAWELL was son-in-law of 152 GIDEON MACON and brother-in-law of 153 NATHANIEL MACON
(194) NICHOLAS MASSENBERY was brother-in-law of 163 JOHN CARGILL
(154) WILLIAM CHRISTMAS laid off WARRENTON and RALEIGH townsites
(215) JOHN HENDERSON married the widow of 182 SOLOMON ALSTON, and 191 JAMES JONES married CHARITY ALSTON, daughter of SOLOMON.
(87) JOHN DANIEL of NUT BUSH DISTRICT was the great, great great great grandfather of the compiler of this map and chart.
© wwwgloverfamily.com 1991